MOSQUITO LIFE CYCLE
- Mosquitoes go through four separate and distinct stages of life cycle: Egg, Larva, Pupa, and Adult
- How long each stage lasts depends on temperature and species
- Depending on mosquito species, most activity takes place from dusk to dawn (Culex) or morning to afternoon (Aedes)
- Often seek shelter in enclosed spaces like garages, sheds, and under or inside homes to survive cold temperatures
- Lay their eggs in standing water
- Live outdoors and may come indoors, but are susceptible to air conditioning
- Rest in tall grass, weeds, and brush near inhabited locations
- Mosquito larva develop in storm drains, catch basins, pools, birdbaths, clogged rain gutters, septic seepage, artificial containers and sites that hold stagnant water
- Most famous for malaria, mosquitoes are also vectors of other diseases such as dengue fever, yellow fever, chikungunya, West Nile and the Zika virus
- Also known as the southern house mosquito
- Mosquito Size: Approximately 3.96 to 4.25 millimeters long
- Mosquito Color: This brown mosquito, with a darker proboscis, thorax, wings, and tarsi, and a lighter brown head and center.
- Other distinct features: The abdomen has pale, narrow, rounded bands that take on a half-moon shape
Insect Growth Regulators and Naturals
You can feel comfortable using insect growth regulators (IGRs) and naturals for complete mosquito control in clients’ backyards, patios, and open spaces. Altosid larvicides are IGRs that prevents adult emergence by suspending mosquito development at the pupal stage, leading to death due to age or predation. The active ingredient, (S)-Methoprene, has an excellent LD50 profile resulting in low environmental impact with no bioaccumulation. Naturals are botanically based insecticides (or 25b Exempt)that offer natural adult mosquito control for the environmentally conscious consumer. The Essentria® line up sprays and concentrates use active ingredients that include rosemary oil, peppermint oil, geraniol, clove oil, and thyme oil that can be applied with little to no risk to humans or the environment.
ALTOSID® PROFESSIONAL MOSQUITO CONTROL PRODUCTS
A leader in larvicides, Altosid® products are used by major mosquito abatement districts, the military, and international organizations.
Ideal for backyard mosquito control, this granular mosquito larvicide prevents adult mosquito emergence in treated areas for up to 30 days of protection in standing water.
Altosid® Liquid Larvicide Mosquito Growth Regulator (A.L.L.)
Altosid® Liquid Larvicide Mosquito Growth Regulator can be used as a pretreatment to potential mosquito breeding locations, offering complete control.
Altosid® Briquets (30-day, PCO Pack)
Designed to stop larval development in active mosquito breeding sites, this convenient formulation provides up to 30 days of mosquito control in standing water.
Altosid® Extended Residual Briquets (150-day)
A cost-effective solution for controlling mosquito populations all season long, Altosid® 150-Day Briquets control larvae and prevent the emergence of adult mosquitoes without negatively impacting the surrounding ecosystem.
ESSENTRIA® NATURAL MOSQUITO CONTROL PRODUCTS
The Essentria® product line is formulated with naturally derived plant-based active ingredients to offer offer natural mosquito control.
Essentria® All Purpose Insect Concentrate
A 25(b) exempt pest control solution, Essentria® All Purpose Insect Concentrate offers broad-spectrum control and is ideal for mosquito protection in sensitive application sites.
Essentria® IC-3 Insecticide Concentrate
This natural mosquito control solution provides immediate knockdown and long residual control, naturally repelling mosquitoes and a variety of other insects.
Essentria® Contact Spray is an aerosol product that is designed to kill and repel mosquitoes and other pests on a variety of surfaces and locations.
MOSQUITO CONTROL WITH CONFIDENCE
We’ve made all of this information easier to print and share with our Mosquito Poster, Premise Brochure, and Mosquito Control Product Brochure. Simply download and print out to provide your team with the information needed to offer sound advice and treatment recommendations for your customers.